Monday, December 10, 2012

Quiet Book Cover

I used fabric that I had on hand from a project I never started. I can't even remember what I had planned for it as it was too long ago. :/ I added one layer of felt between the two fabric pieces to give a little weight. I didn't want too hard or structured of a cover as I have so many bulky 3D pages. 

 
The most important advice I can give is to measure five times and sew once. Get your book rings in your pages before you plan your cover so you will be measuring around everything that will be in your book. I used 3" book rings and this definately requires more space that needs to be included in the planning. You want a cover with a one inch margin around all of your pages. More than that can make the finished project look floppy/sloppy. Less than that and you risk having a cover that looks like it shrunk in the wash. And get a plan for what kind of closure and/or handles you may want for your book. I used a Velcro closure and added two handles.
 
 
  • Measure the pages lengthwise making sure there will be an inch on each side after seam allowances.
  • Measure the height of the pages making sure there will be an inch on each side after seam allowances.
  • Mark where the book rings will be attached on the inside of the cover.
  • Mark where your book closure will be sewn onto the back cover and attached on the front and pin into place.
  • Mark where the carry handles will be sewn into the cover and pin into place.
 
First I stitched around all of the edges with the right sides of the fabric together inside making sure to leave an opening to turn it inside out. Sew the opening close and add a finishing stitch completely around the edges.
 

 
 
 I then sewed two vertical lines evenly spaced on either side of where the book rings will be attached to give the look and feel of a spine. There is enough stability and width it can stand on its own.

 
  

On the inside of the 'spine', I sewed two reinforced loops that the book rings can link through. I chose the book ring option for a few reasons. You can easily remove a page for repair, can take a couple of pages out for fun on the go, and I also think it is important to rotate pages. Just like toys, kids become excited to see a page again that they haven't played with for a few weeks. Book rings give you all of this flexibility.
 

 
This is one mega book - finished and ready to gift!
 
 
Don't forget the finishing touch on the front inside cover. :)
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Love your cover idea! I have been looking at ideas from the internet for days and finally found yours. I made my first quiet book 30 years ago for my oldest daughter and at her request will be making one for my grandson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this cover. I love that the binder rings are on the inside rather than going through the entire cover & visible on the outside, as well. Seems like you have more ring space for pages that way. I have been working on pages for months for our granddaughter...want to make the cover so I can give her what I have so far & add to it after some other projects. Appreciate your time & generosity to share.

    ReplyDelete